The 10 Levels of Affirming

8 Levels of Affirming









by


It may seem strange to refer to affirmations as being either positive or negative, but both levels exist. However, most people seem to refer to negative affirmations as negative self-talk, and positive affirmations simply as affirmations. I suppose that no one wants to admit to consciously affirming the negative, although we all do this on a regular basis.

Going directly from negative self-talk to positive affirming can cause problems. Recent studies have found that people with low self-esteem may actually feel worse after using positive affirmations. The reason for this is not so surprising. It is only natural that the subconscious mind will offer resistance to suggestions which contradict reality. We need to approach change gradually.

Understanding the different levels on which our beliefs reside can alleviate this problem and make change happen more quickly in the long term. By determining where our current beliefs lie, we can progress forward at a comfortable pace and achieve permanent results.



1.  NAFFIRMATIONS

Naffirmations constitute the negative affirmations we use on a daily basis, usually without realizing how damaging they are. They usually begin with words like:

I can’t …
I’m not …

I don’t have …


They can also be simple statements we make about ourselves, such as, "I am exhausted", which affirms the opposite of what we really want.


2.  DISAFFIRMATIONS

Disaffirmations are statements we make that begin with auxiliary verbs. They are often followed by the word 'but'.

I would … but
If only … but
I wish … but
I should … but
I could … but
I’d like to … but
I might … but …
I’ll try … but …

Take away these auxiliary verbs, and quite often these disaffirmations turn into positive affirmations of doing.

The negativity of disaffirmations comes with the words that follow the word 'but'. Here the disclaimers, provisos, and excuses our minds manufacture, are usually nothing more than negative affirmations... which takes us back to level one.


3. ANTI-AFFIRMATIONS

Anti-affirmations negate or defy negative habits, behaviors or issues.

I don’t eat junk food.
I never argue with my kids.
I no longer bite my fingernails.

All of these affirmations cause our subconscious mind to visualize the negatives we are trying to eliminate. Thus we actually end up putting as much focus on what we don't want as we do on what we want. In the end, anti-affirmations end up working against you, not for you.


4. AFFIRMATIONS of ACCEPTANCE

Affirmations of acceptance are the first step towards realizing change. They affirm the beginning of transformation. They start with words like:

I believe that …
I accept that …
I know that …

For change to occur in our lives, we need to accept, first and foremost, that our beliefs need changing. We need to welcome new ways of thinking. Affirmations of acceptance are the first step.


5. AFFIRMATIONS of RELEASE

The second level of transition between negative and positive affirming is to release past negatives. Affirmations of release break the rule of mentioning negative issues. However, when we use them we follow the 'releasing' with words that accept or welcome a new way of thinking or being. We say, "I release _(the negative)_ and welcome _(the positive)_." Affirmations of release begin with words like:

I let go of …
I release …
I now relinquish …


6. AFFIRMATIONS of CHANGE

The final level of transition between negative and positive affirming is to affirm our commitment to change. Affirmations of change begin with words like:

I am determined to …
It is my intention to …
I am learning to …
I am practicing ...
I now allow myself to ...
I am committed to ...
I am becoming more …

Affirmations of change prepare our subconscious minds for the positive affirmations to come.


7. AFFIRMATIONS of DOING

The first level of positive affirming begins with doing. Here we affirm that we are taking actions towards our goals. Affirmations of doing simply begin with a verb, either in the present tense or in the present continuous (verbs ending with -ing):

I write, exercise …
I am writing, I am exercising …

Affirmations of doing remind us of the specific, daily activities we need to perform in order to change our beliefs and our life. They also motivate us to take the actions needed to reach our goals.


8. AFFIRMATIONS of BEING

Affirmations of being are simple in structure but often hard to integrate as beliefs. They begin with the words I am, and are followed by adjectives that describe states of being, or nouns that represent the desired state.

I am happy …
I am confident ...
I am totally at peace ...


I am an unlimited being.
I am a loving person.

Affirmations of being take ownership of the thing being affirmed for.
They say, This is me. I am ______ !


9. AFFIRMATIONS of OWNING

Affirmations of owning stretch our belief system a bit further than affirmations of being. Here we are asking our subconscious mind to accept that we possess something which does not actually exist in our current reality

I have …
I now possess …
I own …
There is (in my life) ...

Affirmations of owning follow the rules of the Law of Attraction, where are must believe we already own that which we want.


10. AFFIRMATIONS of GRATITUDE

Affirmations of gratitude can be used in conjunction with any positive level of affirming, but they are at their highest level when used to follow affirmations of owning. Here we must stretch our belief to the level of total expectation. We are thankful right now for what we are affirming we already own, even though it is not yet manifest in our lives.

I am grateful for …
I am forever thankful for …
I deeply appreciate …

Affirmations of gratitude elevate our belief to its highest level!

 

Follow

Affirm Your Life on Twitter
Affirm Your Life on Facebook
Affirm Your Life on Pinterest
Affirm Your Life on Google+
Affirm Your Life on Tumblr

About Me